Monday, January 16, 2012

Kleine Karoo and Stellenbosch, too

Dropped off at Die Top of the Swartberg pass, I was left to make my way back on bicycle for 54 harrowing kilometers through the Kleine Karoo. I passed farms and ostrich ranches (and camel rides?). At times pursued by ravenous herds of man-eating ostriches. Luckily, I arrived unscathed in the town of Oudtshoorn. Then we’re magically transported to Stellenbosch. Uni town and wine center. Strolled through the Village Museum for a gander at Dutch colonial life in the 17th and 18th centuries. Then I hired a dodgy bike to pedal the vineyards, but ventured only as far as I was willing to walk back - a real el crappo bike. The musical accompaniment is Get Some by Lykke Li and Concerto 2 - F Major of the Brandenburg Concertos by Johann Sebastian Bach, conducted by Helmuth Rilling.

No comments: